Saturday, January 1, 2011

Radio Stations

It's been one of those weeks where radio stations have been re-branding and reorganizing.  I dug one of the stations mostly.  Think their biggest problem was that they played the same core set of songs excessively.  Seemed like you would hear the same songs several times in a given day.  Top 10 sorts of songs.  "Hey Soul Sister" by Train being the evil song of the summer.  I'd swear I heard the song 5 or more times a day and that's not counting the other places playing that song. 

Not that I'm a radio genius or anything but I'd figure you'd want to play the songs enough for it to be in people minds.  Enough for a line or two or even some of the melody to be stuck in the people heads.  Just as they are forgetting you play it again.  They could call in or check the website for what was played.   The people would then proceed to go out and by the song on iTunes or something or the actual cd and listen ad nauseam. 

I'm sure there is a formula or algorithm for optimal play rate for popular songs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment